Header & profile photo by www.rawphotodesign.com

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Down with the Sickness


March is almost history.  This cold weather has got to go, although the 10 day forecast doesn't look too promising.  As a mother of two boys I am in constant germ-fighting mode.  Boys are adorable but they are not known for their hygiene skills.  Keeping them healthy is my # 1 priority.  This is a daunting task.


The basic precautions are taken in my home. Anti-bacterial soap, wipes, hand sanitizer.  When they get off that bus it is straight to the bathroom to scrub off other snotty kids germs.  I wish I had one of those high-pressure showers like they have in power plants. You know the ones where your skin is stripped down raw.  I know that most of these methods are not fool-proof, but they can't hurt.  I am one illness away from putting them in a plastic bubble.


This year we had our flu shots & have been pretty lucky so far.  I know I'm going to regret talking about this.  I'm totally superstitious about that sort of thing.  As soon as I mention it, it happens.  (Yes, I am a bit of a lunatic)  I interrogate my boys when they get home.  "Who is out in your class?" "What do they have?" "Don't sit next to anyone who is breathing!"  Yes, it is crazy. 


The dreaded stomach flu has made the rounds all year long.  This is my worst fear.  I will take a fever, croup, snots, rubella & even the plague (is that still around?) if I can avoid the "puke-bug."  Even the mere mention of this makes me feel nauseous.  GROSS!!  Please spare us, God of sickness.  Not that!


Boys are funny when it comes to washing up.  My kids take a shower every morning.  This is not commonplace, but I love that they do.  (What's up with those kids taking a tub 3x a week?  Yuck.)  My kids are clean, for the most part. I am sure there are questionable things like running the water without actually putting their hands in it, boogie picking & not-so-thorough wiping of the bum.  Again, they are boys.  They are not too concerned about these things.

Elementary school is like a big petri dish.  All sorts of germs festering away, wait to find a vulnerable host to latch on to.  I just gave myself goose-bumps typing that.  Ewwww.  The number of snot-covered sleeves must be enormous.  I'm not sure that coughing into the elbow is going to remedy this problem.

Parents are to blame too.  They send their infected kiddies to school.  Please stop it!  Good rule of thumb for keeping your child home:

1. If their cough sounds like an elderly goose who smokes
2. If the nose is dripping anything green, yellow or slime-like
3. If they are flushed, lethargic or if they have a rash resembling a Papa-Ginos tabletop 

Really basic stuff here people.  Let's work together to keep our kids healthy.  Spring can't come soon enough.  Until then, the bio-hazard suits are still an option around here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.. Thoughts? Comments? Future Blog Topics? Go ahead, don't be shy!