Header & profile photo by www.rawphotodesign.com

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Kiss my LASH: Your Guide to Mascara



Today we are talking LASHES!  We all want em.. Long, thick & luxurious...  If you are anything like me, you have purchased every mascara known to man to achieve fab lashes.  I am a sucker for mascara.  Much to my dismay, many of the products I buy do not do what they claim.  I have road-tested dozens of products from $2.00 to $40.00.  Here is my take on getting those amazing lashes!

Now, first off... The mascara ads that you see on T.V & in the magazines are a complete misrepresentation.  The models are wearing FALSE LASHES!!  Just to be clear.  Your lashes will not look like that without them.  Kim Kardashian wears fake ones too.. on the top & bottom.  No ones lashes touch their eyebrows, except maybe my two sons.  (damn, boys get all the good traits!) 

Mascaras claim to lengthen, curl (whatever?) and volumize.  3 very important things when it comes to creating a beautiful eye.  It is all in the brush & the application.  Let's look at some popular choices.

1. Dior SHOW
This has been a cult favorite & a best seller for years.  Promising big,
thick lashes without the need for fake ones.  Honestly I do not like this
mascara, but sales don't lie.  LOTS of people do!  The brush is so big & bulky it doesn't coat that well.  It kind of globs on.  Not a fan, sorry Dior.  And for $25, I expect much more.


2. Lancome Definicils

This was my go-to mascara for years.  I love the thin wand.  When is comes out of the tube it is really clean, not clumpy.  This mascara separates & lengthens.  I just love it.  $25.00 well spent.






3.  Maybelline Stiletto Voluptuous

I am willing to try any product once.  Once was all I needed to fall in love with this mascara.  The curvy brush really coats each lash without clumping.  It adds great length & volume.  With an attractive price point (under 6 bucks!) this mascara should be found in every one's makeup kit.


3. Blinc KISS ME

This is a very non-traditional mascara.  Kiss Me goes on like regular mascara but does something pretty unique.  It coats each lash with "tubes" of color, creating a natural, separated look.  This mascara does not flake or smudge until you take it off.  Now, this is the beauty of this product. To remove, use warm water & gently sweep off the "tubes" to reveal a perfectly clean eye.  No raccoons!!  (It is a little creepy.  NO, those are not your lashes coming off..it is the mascara.)  Genius for about $24!


WARNING:  FOR MASCARA ADDICTS ONLY!!!


4. Sephora's Stash Lash Mascara Deluxe Sampler

YUMMY!! 10 of Sephora's most popular mascaras in a sampler kit with an eyelash curler to boot.  OMG!!  Need I say more.  GET IT!



Things to remember:

-Use the Squiggle:  Place the wand at the base of the lashes & move it back & forth to get lift at the roots
-Don't forget the tips:  Sweep mascara down from the top & then up to coat all of the lash
-Use waterproof for special occasions & the beach only!  It does more harm than good when used daily
-Shelf life for most mascara is about 3-6 month.  I say 3.  Bacteria builds up in that tube..YUCK!
-Don't "pump" the wand in & out of the tube.  Swirl it around to prevent air from getting in & drying it out.

Now I could go on & on with this.  Currently these are the mascaras I have in my makeup bag:

Mally Volumizing Mascara
L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes
Maybelline Volume Express The Falsies
Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash

My name is Susan & I am a makeup addict.  It is not safe for me to enter Sephora coming off a great nights sleep & my debit card.  I think I need a sponsor.

So if you want those to-die-for lashes try some of my suggestions or share some of your favorites.  I would love to hear from you. 



1 comment:

  1. I love me some MAC plush lash, makes my non-existent lashes seem existent!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you.. Thoughts? Comments? Future Blog Topics? Go ahead, don't be shy!