Header & profile photo by www.rawphotodesign.com

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Lie to Me...

Easter is this weekend.  Yes, another holiday when a "mystical" creature visits the house & leaves gifts for the children.  In other words: WE LIE!  My boys are now 8 & 6 1/2.  We have done our absolute best to deceive them up until now.  At what age do they figure all this out & call our bluff?  It's getting close.

"You know Santa & you have very similar handwriting?" 
"Mom, the Easter bunny has the same exact plastic eggs that you have!"
"The Tooth Fairy dropped my tooth on your bedroom floor last night"

As a mom, I enjoy the innocence of all of this magic. I love that they still BELIEVE.  (We could all use a little magic in our lives sometimes, right?)  I remember when I found out that there was no Santa.  My mom sat me on her lap in the kitchen & told me.  I was crushed.  I had my suspicions before that though.  In the house I grew up in, we had one of those pull-down attic doors with the boingy springs.  (a very technical term there)  It made a very distinct sound when opened.  So my parents figured that is where they should hide the gifts.  One time, my Dad opened the attic & a present flew down.  I can't remember the reasoning he gave, but I must have bought it.  But it stuck with me..hmmmmm.

We spend a great portion of our kid's childhood totally lying to them.  Now, some whack-job parental groups out there say that this is hurting our children.  "It is wrong to lie about Santa!!  The deception can leave life long scars."  Give me a break!!

As parents we lie all the time.  Yes, I know that there are "degrees" of lying , but we all do it.  We all do it often.  Lying is part of parenting.

"The computer has to to 'go to sleep' now honey"
"I don't have any quarters for the gumball machine"
"If you tell me the truth, you won't get in trouble"
"The cable is out, sorry you can't watch Sponge Bob"
"This is 'mommy's juice' I'm drinking"
"We are all out of chicken nuggets"

Some may consider these "white lies" but they are lies all the same.  Lying = survival. Lying gets you out of those pesky weekend obligations: "Oh, sorry we can't go to blah-blah's Irish Step dancing recital, the little one has a fever."  Lying gets you out of awkward situations: "Sure, those sequined spandex pants look great on you!"  Lying can even make you feel better.. "I don't think one Eclair will hurt my diet."

I think that Santa, the Easter Bunny & the Tooth Fairy were created to instill good behavior.  Parents need all the help they can get during the year, so why not make shit up?  Scare the kids a little.  I don't think it's a coincidence that my boy's behavior is usually VERY good in the month of December.  Thanks "Santa!"

I am not condoning lying here.  I am defending it just a little though.  There is a difference.  Sometimes we need to fib in order to get what we need or want out of our children. If that makes me a bad mom, then so be it.  I invite anyone to admit that they have not done the same thing at some point.  I am just waiting for the jig to be up.  All this lying is exhausting!

So go forth & enjoy this blessed Easter Sunday....  May the "Easter Bunny" bring you lots of treats..

And don't you worry, your secret is safe with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.. Thoughts? Comments? Future Blog Topics? Go ahead, don't be shy!